Netbios is a proprietary protocol of Microsoft. It is found in all Windows Operating Systems. Today the work load of NetBios is handled by DNS protocol. By default NetBios is enabled in Windows, you can disable it by following the steps below.
- Open Network Connections Window (NCPA.CPL)
- Right click the network adapter, for which you want to disable NetBios click Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties
- From the TCP/IP Properties page click Advanced
- Select WINS Tab
- Below in the NetBIOS Settings Select Disable NetBios over TCP/IP radio box and click OK